Tales of personal encounters, sometimes humorous, sometimes serious, sometimes grumpy, sometimes informative, but always true and sincere...

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Is S'pore getting too crowded?





Remember my blog entry on inconsiderate people on Mrts?

And Ani told me she witnessed a fight in the train as it was too crowded and violent shoving began.

Yes, I blame the overcrowding in trains mainly on the increased population in S'pore. When I was in primary school, I remembered my teacher telling us that the population then was about 3 million. And now the statistics show a huge increase to 4.68 million! Why is this so when the birth rate has not been going up?? Well, this is due to the growing number of expatriates and foreign workers living here, about 1 million of them! This figure makes sense, I mean, do you remember having foreign classmates when you were in school? Perhaps we only knew a few from JC onwards. But now, foreign students are so common in primary schools!

The journalist from Today who wrote an article on this spoke to a sociologist professor from NUS. The professor doesn't believe the crowd situation here is bad.
It's nothing compared to Jakarta or Bangkok or any Indian city, he said. He has a different way of looking at "density".

"The only measure of density is the quality of life. If you find yourself unable to be polite and civil, then it's dense."

Maybe the professor is right. Perhaps I am getting more impatient and intolerant.

And maybe not only me alone.

No comments: